Friday, May 25, 2012

We Are Family

Some of the most beautiful times I have seen the presence and likeness of the Lord in people and situations, is when the idea of individual agendas fly out the window, and instead the overall experience of the collective takes over. It is all too easy as Christians, as humans in general really, to simply be concerned with ourselves. Our own faith, our own life, our own family, our own congregation, our own plans,--me, me, me, I, I, I. But that is not what we were designed for, and when we live that way it is not bringing glory to the name of the Lord but instead, offers up a picture of how we were not created to live.

It's hard-I will be the first to admit-to not be so concerned with yourself, even when you attempt to look at it with a godly perspective and Christ-like eyes. What mission trip should I go on? What form of ministry do I study? What new Christian Living book should I buy at Lifeway today? What can I plan and do and be and accomplish....and do all to declare victory for the kingdom in the name of the Lord? Well, before too long, this mentality will have us all looking around at those whom we left far behind on our 'path' to knowing the Lord's heart. Planning mission trips, reading Christian Living books, contemplating a branch of ministry, and things of this nature are not bad and wrong. Don't hear me saying this. What I am saying is, while doing these things with the intent being personal growth and development, we can get dangerously lost in selfishness.

I had a mentor of mine tell me recently that he used to be a man who was scared to make a move because he feared messing up the Lord's plan for his life (a HUGE obstacle that has left me myself paralyzed in making a move one way or another the past year). He told me that God hit him over the head with this notion that who are we to think that we, silly old Meagan Cremeens, could mess up the Almighty Creator's plans for my life? We are pawns being used in a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger picture then we might EVER realize. The focus--the KINGDOM. Loving others and spreading the Gospel to everyone we encounter. This idea leaves no room for an individualistic mentality but offers no other way of response than to focus on the collective. (Now, don't hear me saying you should abandon all efforts of personal growth, time with the Lord, or anything like that!)

What makes the most sense to me are a few instances the past few months where I have seen the body of Christ as believers who are walking alongside one another in order to spread love and bring glory to the name of the Lord. During Easter I witnessed this during an Easter production I was a part of. My friend who wrote, directed, and starred in the show will be the first to recall the moment of the "ugly cry"--a time at the end of the show, during Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise" where the Lord overwhelmed him with this idea of surrender and complete abandonment to God. The ugly cry happened once in rehearsal and the collective response was-"If that happens again, we will sing for you." Well, it did happen again. And one of the most beautiful moments of that show to me was hearing the voices of the body of Christ joining together in song to support and symbolize a walking alongside another brother during a weaker, more vulnerable moment in his life. That, is beauty. That is collective concern.

I have been experiencing this lately during the newest show I am a part of, Titanic the Musical (which I have written many a blog about describing the difficulty of the music for me and the re-learning my voice, and finding some confidence on stage once more). Last night we had our first rehearsal on stage, going through the first half of act one which is coincidentally, my solo number in the show. I have been working very hard the past few weeks with a vocal coach, as well as alone in my car and with anyone who will listen to me sing and tell me what I am doing wrong :) so this was an anxious rehearsal for me. That moment where I am told if it is showing at all that my hard work will pay off. After the song, I was happily surprised at the feedback from people--really, people in the cast I didn't even know knew that I was struggling with this issue at all--as well as friends of mine who did know and positively encouraged me as well. But the compliments were not the best part...it was the shift of my mentality. Sure, not feeling like I did an awful job was refreshing. Not leaving rehearsal in tears and shattered confidence, was JOYOUS for me. Yet, my mind shifting to another place altogether last night was the beauty behind the pain I have been experiencing lately. Being the first time on stage you start to see more of the bigger picture, instead of getting lost in the individuality of it all. The ship was there, the full cast, we started blocking scenes, and then after we all had s'mores outside in the park. It was a BEAUTIFUL time with people I love and hold so dearly in my heart.

And when I drove home, all I could think about was the love and encouragement I have received from them all the past month. I have had people go out of their way to help strengthen my voice, to warm me up properly, to teach me things about the voice I never even knew, to help me with my Irish accent, to collect costumes with me, to help me brainstorm set ideas, and SO SO SO much more. And when you see all of that hard work--not solely from me, but from EVERYONE--you, as artists, start to shift and grow and realize HOW critically about the BIGGER picture this whole thing is.

Being in a show is the perfect metaphor for being a Christian in this aspect. Because when we stop worrying about me, me, me--how I look, or sound, or what I do and where I go--we start listening more to God. And when we listen to God He is faithfully showing us exactly what He has in store for us. He tells us what others need of us. He teaches us to love the world and see the world as He sees and loves them. And all of these things combined, affect the bigger picture. And when it's all said and done, we will look back at our lives and realize how very very little this has anything to do with US.

Just like with my show. After the weekend of June 23rd, we will all look back at this beautiful work of art and the way that it affected and changed people's lives, and realize how very little any of it had anything to do with us individually.

I am so full of joy at the blessings of being a part of the Titanic cast, being surrounded by talented and kind and loving people who go out their way to help and encourage and support one another. The Lord is at work in ALL that we do....

Sometimes, we simply have to go through a season or a time of heartache or pain to notice.

In Him,
Meg