Thursday, March 29, 2012

Whoa, Didn't See this Coming....

In the notebook section of my iPhone, I have a dedicated "Note" to potential blog ideas. I type them in whenever inspiration strikes or when God has delivered something to me I don't want to forget. I was going through them this morning, deciding what to blog about, when I found one that made me laugh. It doesn't really have a point but clearly I was just venting. So I am going to start this blog off with that story, then lead into something that really matters! :)

These days with work and rehearsal for the musical I am catching dinner at inconsistent hours everyday. One day last week, it was 10 o clock before I was able to eat dinner and I was grabbing it on my way home. I live a very inconvenient 30 minutes from where I work and do all my other activities, and I take back roads home to attempt to shave off 5-10 minutes. So my places of food collecting are the Kum and Go gas station, Burger King, and Dairy Queen. (And if you wanna get super fancy and drive a little longer, then Sonic becomes an option.) On this particular night I was dreading having to eat fast food because I really wanted something healthier or home-cooked. I was having flashbacks of the documentaries I've seen on how McDonalds and places like them are making their chicken products and I wanted to GAG! I have come to the conclusion that if you can not pull the meat apart as if literally cutting it right off of the bone, then it's probably a nice mixture of chicken mush-beak, feet, wing, bone, head, brain-GAG again. Ok, enough of that. So I decided on Burger King because I hadn't been there in a long time, and literally was thinking out loud "I hope they have healthy options!" To my surprise, when I got to the menu, almost the WHOLE menu had changed! The quality of their meat as well as their meal options and side options as well. WHOA! (then of course silently I "hoped" for a million dollars....it did not happen). I decided on a chicken wrap and it was a perfect portion and oh so YUMMY!!

The thing I wrote in my Notes section in my phone was this "Sonic taking away healthy options. BK adding." What that means, is last Summer, I went to the Sonic in Paragould where I live and was told I could have a salad but it wouldn't have cheese because they were out. So I texted my cousin when I left (who worked there at the time) and am like, dude what's up with no cheese? He informed me that ALL Sonic's were getting rid of their SALADS! I was APPALLED!! At the time that was almost the only thing I would eat at Sonic-and their grilled chicken salads were SO yummy!! Throughout the course of the year following that conversation, SONIC was RID of ALL healthy options on the menu (except apple slices that I am aware of-but really who knows about those). In an age where the top killer of people in this country are problems caused by weight and food consumption, you would THINK that for humanitarian purposes, people who can somewhat control (or at least affect) what people eat-they would want to BETTER their options!

They replaced salads and wraps with a multitude of HOTDOG options! HOT DOGS!! Need I say more? In contrast, Burger King has added REAL chicken tenders (not the processed junk they used to have or that McDonalds still has). They have taken away some of their JUNK and added in healthier junk! :)

Maybe I am naive, but if I were to ever get in the food business I would create a FAST FOOD restaurant that SOLELY serves Organic, healthy food. I don't mean healthier options compared to the rest of the crap on the menu (sorry I said crap...and again just then), but TRULY healthy food. Organically grown fruits and veggies from original heirloom seeds if available. Whole grains and gluten free sandwiches, as well as soups. Maybe lean turkey meat with NO hormones pumped into it. Sure there are places like this now, but not places that are available to drive through and get it. And that's what the American people want-instant gratification. Quick. Easy. One hour lunch break, 20 plus minutes to drive, they need something they can grab and eat in the car! And don't they deserve a HEALTHY place to do so??

There are SO many testimonies about diet altercation curing cancer, diabetes, heart disease and SO much more. And it's true! God put everything we would ever need on this earth already-not just food wise but medicine wise as well. And everytime we put something in our bodies that it was not designed to have inside of it, we are ruining it's original intent. (I say this as I am sucking down a Dr. Pepper so please mind you that I am JUST as guilty as everyone else.) Habits are hard to break. But I think they are worth it to break.

Ok, so maybe I just wrote an entire blog on this subject on accident. Somewhere halfway through God told me that this subject actually DOES matter so I will write another blog on what I was going to talk about.

Last thoughts. If you are a person with many illnesses or types of illnesses that might be with you forever, I really encourage you to look into your diet and change what you are putting into your body. As well as considering switching over to all herbal medicines and foods that provide healing, and laying off the chemically processed pills that were never designed by God to be put into your body in the first place. And finally I encourage you PRAY over your illness. We take for granted that we have God living inside of us and can claim healing in His name-so we don't do it. Our first inclination is to run to a doctor, shove chemicals down our throats that are ultimately killing us (because it's robbing our bodies the ability to heal itself as it was created to do), then move on with our lives the next day. Instant gratification. Quick. "Easy". Yet...killing us.

In Him,
Meg