Friday, September 7, 2012

Communication is Key.

The Lord is so good, and His timing is perfect. Sometimes He will allow me to see or realize something about myself, about others, about life--at the exact time I am supposed to learn it. This week, He talked to me about communication. Now, communication is what I studied in college (and by no means am I an expert in it at all), but it is definitely something I like to get better at, to work on, to spot in others, and in my opinion one of the most important tools in life. It is not just a tool of ourselves, but also a tool the enemy likes to twist and manipulate in order to reek havoc in situations which essentially breaks up friendships, families, churches, and relationships of all kinds.

A few days ago, within a situation, the Lord showed me a lie of the enemy that I was unaware I was even believing until He showed me. I blogged last year about life decisions--and how every choice we make is in response to whose story we are going to believe. The Lord's. Or the Enemy's. Everyday I am hit harder with the realization that this is actually not only true but true almost ALL of the time, in ALL situations. Including, yes, you've got it, communication. 

So I was telling someone a story the other day. It was a brief "in passing" thing that was describing something going on in my life. She asked briefly about a house I did not move into. So I answered briefly with a giant run-on sentence with examples that would've explained the situation better had I not sped through them so quickly. The conversation looked something like this:

Me-And I am moving into my new apartment this week.
Her-Oh is it that one place you showed me?
Me-No i couldnt commit to that place since it was in such a bad part of town and then I told that guy I was going to move in with that i couldn't live with a stinky boy so I am at an apartment of Paige

She politely smiled, having zero idea probably what I was talking about. The reason she didn't know was because I did not take the time to fully develop any of the story. Later that night I thought about why I didn't and the Lord sure as heck told me. I do not feel that others value what I have to say (sometimes it's because they don't, and other times it's more of the stigma I have caused by believing lies of the enemy about my worth). Because I don't feel valued, I assume that people don't want to hear my long stories, or bad jokes, or hear me talking at all for an extended length of time--so I hasten the pace, I skip important details, and even when I know that what I am saying is interesting, I always attempt to make it as less painful for the listener as possible. WOW! Poor communication skills Meg! 

When God showed me this about myself I laughed of course. Because I never realized it at all! But I do it-OFTEN! It's that choice too, every time, of whether I am going to believe the story of the Lord or the story of the enemy. Do I believe I am worthy and something to be valued? Or do I believe that the person on the receiving end doesn't give a flip about what I have to say and I'm wasting my breath? The conversation with whom the Lord chose to use as an example to show me all of this, was the PERFECT person to use. Because I KNOW that she loves me (and I her) SO much, and I KNOW that she values what I have to say. We have invested into each other's lives so there is no doubt about her care and her love for me and my silly stories.

Multiple times this week, God used what He had shown me. I teach drama classes at a non profit organization called the Foundation of Arts. In several situations with my kiddos this week, I had to pause and remind them that what they say and do matter. To slow down their pace. To take a deep breath. And to take the time to engage their audience (because good delivery is everything right?)

I was also shown the affects of poor (or non) communication in a not so fun way at all this week as well. And in times where communication affects your friendships, where you attend church, a job, a relationship etc...those are times you can be sure the enemy is hard at work. 

This I'm sure was not a teaching blog, so much as a, hey blog readers-I am still alive and barely kickin'. Still learning God's lessons in this very challenging season of my life. And hopefully passing on encouragement when I can.

In Him,
Meg